The story is enough.

The story is enough.

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Doris and the Ankh by B.K. Brain

This review can also be found on Amazon.

Doris and the Ankh

I usually do not read books written for children or young adults - especially fantasy.  

I have a hard time following fantastical creatures and plots that seem realistic, but suddenly twist and and turn into something very unreal.  Fantasy catches me off-guard.  It surprises me in a way that makes me feel duped.  I don't understand why the cricket is talking, why the wizard turns the boy into a squirrel, how a wardrobe a wardrobe can open into a magical land.  I do not speak a language from Middle Earth nor do I imagine myself coming in contact with Greek gods and goddesses.  I feel utterly lost in Oz.

But all disbelief was suspended for with Doris and the Ankh.  For me, the informing style of narration was a benefit.  I followed the events of the story without needing to go back again and again, questioning what just occurred.  I was able to become submerged in the dark and whimsical.

The imaginative story moves along at an efficient pace, leaving no room for boredom.  Dialogue is well-written and creative, and although Doris is stereotypical at times, the familiarity of archetype is like traveling with a friend. 

And with the formula of hero + 3 unique companions, humor and tragedy are a must.  Readers will find them here.

Photo Credit: http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1423439845l/24881056.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment