The story is enough.

The story is enough.

Sunday, September 13, 2015

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon






















I was first attracted to this book because of its title - it is indeed "curious".  The blurb on the back of the book convinced me to buy it.  And when my book club selected this, I was hooked.  

But I find it even more fascinating to discover that this story is also a Tony Award-winning play.

While the comparison to Flowers for Algernon is accurate, there is something more endearing to this novel.  Because it was about a boy and not a man?  Because it was about parent-child relationships, not about intimate love?  Because it was not about evolution and regression, merely perception?  

This story was real and honest without being cutsie or didactic. 

The Curious Incident shows that intelligence comes in many forms and emotion is never wholly removed from a situation.

Kudos to Mark Haddon for a sensitive and touching treatment of the unique ways in which we all view the world.

Photo credit: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41AVVhtHugL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment